Skip to main content

Nero "Fugue State"

Nero WELCOME REALITY +

Last Saturday night I decided to have a chill night in and watch Dunkirk on 4K bluray, but as I was digging through my movies I found a copy of Nero Welcome Reality + on CD and I lingered on it for a while. When that album came out I was obsessed with it, listening to it all of the time. I don't remember if the copy I found was mine, or the one that I gifted to my stepson about 15 years ago, but honestly, it did not matter; I was just happy to hold it in my hands again.

Regardless, it pulled me back and I was lost in nostalgia for a moment. I made a mental note to give the disc a spin sometime soon before putting in my movie to enjoy.

Honestly, by Sunday I had kind of forgotten about it.

Then, Wednesday I posted that awesome track from Seven Lions & Subtronic and it made me think about dubstep again. That track reminded me of Nero, so I threw Welcome Reality + on for a few tracks and was instantly awash in happy thoughts.

I remembered then how much I loved that band, and specifically, that album.

Honestly, it was a little hard for me to pick just one track to highlight; sure, the obvious choice is "Promises," either the original or the remix, but when I re-listened to this album I remembered just how much I adored the melodic chaos that is "Fugue State."

Is it the most accessible and chart-friendly track on the album?

Nope, not even close, but it's still my favorite.

I'm going out to a club tonight to listen to, and probably dance, to dark wave, industrial, post-punk, synth-pop, and some goth tonight. I am probably too old for this, but I am going and it's going to be awesome.

I hope you have a great weekend as well!

Enjoy!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nine Inch Nails "Closer" (B Stage Remix w/Boys Noize)

Updated (04.24.26): since NIN/Boys Noize have since released Nine Inch Noize  I have updated this post with the official version of the track below. At 30+ years old I think we can all agree that "Closer" was a hit that was about as perfect as it could have been, and has since become a classic.  But ever since I saw NIN in Detroit, and even before, thanks to YouTube, I have been obsessed with this remix of the track. I thought maybe that would fade, but here we are weeks later and I am still impressed with not only the audacity to rework such a well-known, iconic song, but I'm equally astounding as to how well it works. And now, with the Coachella lineup announced  (see above as well), it's obvious that this NIN/Boys Noize collaboration is going to continue as Nine Inch Noize. Personally, I love it, and am hopeful to get an official release of this version so I can buy it and listen to it to my heart's content. Welcome to Monday! Enjoy!

Elbow "Sober"

Look, I realize that I just posted a song by Elbow on Friday , and to be clear, this isn't an Elbow fanatic blog now. That said, I was anticipating hearing  "My Sad Captains" over the weekend, but Elbow changed their setlist and, sadly, I did not get to hear it peformed live. It is what it is, the show was still amazing! I fully admit that I had only taken a cursory listen to their new album Audio Vertigo before the show, but "Sober" was definitely a live standout. I've listened to this song multiple times since hearing it live on Sunday night and am currently obsessed. So yeah, you got some Elbow on Friday, and now you get some more today because this song is now an earworm for me. It's so damn good! (FYI: this song is technically from the Audio Vertigo: Echo EP, but it is now included on the deluxe version of Audio Vertigo, as are the other EP tracks.) Enjoy!

Perturbator "The Glass Staircase"

It was the final Bandcamp Friday of 2025 three days ago, and yes, I made several purchases (more on that later), but one of the standouts is this track by Perturbator. I think the best way I can describe this track, and the entire album, is that it's the soundtrack to a badass sci-fi/action movie that does not yet exist. After making my purchases that afternoon I was listening to them as I drove to/from my friend's house for our weekly poker game when this track came on and I was like, "DAMN!" It's already a solid track, but then at about the 1:15 mark it shifts to this sinister, throbbing beat. Dark Wave, indeed! I love it! Age of Aquarius by PERTURBATOR