I've noted previously that I have a lot of music, perhaps too much, and that yeah, sometimes when I think I have discovered a band, oops, I already bought something from them months, or years, earlier.
This isn't quite that case, but rather, I have so much music that I sometimes I lose track of an artist that I truly love (like Missio) because, well, life happens, work happens, and I get behind.
That's what happened here with Purity Ring. For me, their 2015 album another eternity is perfection, an album I had on repeat for what seemed like forever. They got popular, Katy Perry asked her to work with her on one of her albums, and then asked them to tour with her (I went thanks to a $25 Groupon), and then, sometime after 2017, nine years ago now, well, I think I just kind of lost track of them. I remember WOMB and watching them perform on a late night talkshow, but again, this is on me and does not reflect on the quality of the band or their music, I just kind of lost touch.
But like an old friend, thanks to last month's Bandcamp Friday, I reconnected with Purity Ring, and I am happy to find that they are right there where I left them when I was obsessed with another eternity all those years ago.
I'm not saying that they're churning out the same music they did 11 years ago, but when I first heard this track it was like I referenced above, it felt like spending time with an old friend again after too many years apart.
It's electronic, there are stompy beats, and yeah, there are the ethereal lyrics of lead singer Megan James, that to me feels like a giant, warm blanket.
I'm sorry I was away for as long as I was, Purity Ring, but thanks for welcoming me back.
Enjoy!
Updated (04.24.26): since NIN/Boys Noize have since released Nine Inch Noize I have updated this post with the official version of the track below. At 30+ years old I think we can all agree that "Closer" was a hit that was about as perfect as it could have been, and has since become a classic. But ever since I saw NIN in Detroit, and even before, thanks to YouTube, I have been obsessed with this remix of the track. I thought maybe that would fade, but here we are weeks later and I am still impressed with not only the audacity to rework such a well-known, iconic song, but I'm equally astounding as to how well it works. And now, with the Coachella lineup announced (see above as well), it's obvious that this NIN/Boys Noize collaboration is going to continue as Nine Inch Noize. Personally, I love it, and am hopeful to get an official release of this version so I can buy it and listen to it to my heart's content. Welcome to Monday! Enjoy!

Comments
Post a Comment