Skip to main content

Happy Pulaski Days! - Frank Yankovic "Beer Barrel Polka"

 

V/A 16 MOST REQUESTED POLKAS

Listen, I don't know what the rules are, but what I do know is that you can't celebrate Polish-American heritage and polka music without playing "Beet Barrel Polka" at least once.

I don't make the rules, that's just how it is.

So, for me, it's not Pulaski Days until I've heard not only this song, but also the one I'm going to highlight on Friday.

Besides, unless you're Polish or Polish American, you probably don't know all that many polkas, but if you do, there's a good chance that you know this one because it's a classic.

Also, fun fact: this was originally written as an instrumental and lyrics weren't added until seven years later.

It's midway through the week and there are only two more days until Pulaski Days, so turn this up and get your ass ready to dance.

Enjoy!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nine Inch Nails "Closer" (B Stage Remix w/Boys Noize)

Updated (04.24.26): since NIN/Boys Noize have since released Nine Inch Noize  I have updated this post with the official version of the track below. At 30+ years old I think we can all agree that "Closer" was a hit that was about as perfect as it could have been, and has since become a classic.  But ever since I saw NIN in Detroit, and even before, thanks to YouTube, I have been obsessed with this remix of the track. I thought maybe that would fade, but here we are weeks later and I am still impressed with not only the audacity to rework such a well-known, iconic song, but I'm equally astounding as to how well it works. And now, with the Coachella lineup announced  (see above as well), it's obvious that this NIN/Boys Noize collaboration is going to continue as Nine Inch Noize. Personally, I love it, and am hopeful to get an official release of this version so I can buy it and listen to it to my heart's content. Welcome to Monday! Enjoy!

Elbow "Sober"

Look, I realize that I just posted a song by Elbow on Friday , and to be clear, this isn't an Elbow fanatic blog now. That said, I was anticipating hearing  "My Sad Captains" over the weekend, but Elbow changed their setlist and, sadly, I did not get to hear it peformed live. It is what it is, the show was still amazing! I fully admit that I had only taken a cursory listen to their new album Audio Vertigo before the show, but "Sober" was definitely a live standout. I've listened to this song multiple times since hearing it live on Sunday night and am currently obsessed. So yeah, you got some Elbow on Friday, and now you get some more today because this song is now an earworm for me. It's so damn good! (FYI: this song is technically from the Audio Vertigo: Echo EP, but it is now included on the deluxe version of Audio Vertigo, as are the other EP tracks.) Enjoy!

Depeche Mode "Personal Jesus"

This week is my birthday week, so I have decided to dedicate this week to the band that I love the most: Depeche Mode. "Personal Jesus" is the song that made me an ardent fan of DM. I have delved into my fanhood on my main blog (you can read about that here if you'd like), but the short version is that I was aware of their song "People Are People" from when I was 10, but I was a kid and did not pay attention to music and bands like I did when I was in my teens. Serendipitously, that's when I first heard "Personal Jesus." As an older fan, this song has always struck a chord with me. I sometimes hear from much younger fans that this song is overhyped and overplayed, and maybe so, but would you ask Fleetwood Mac to stop playing "Landslide?" OMD to stop playing "If You Leave?" U2 to stop playing "With or Without You?" And I fully admit that there's a lot of nostalgia baked into this song for me as it was the  song that...