As I said when I posted about Front 242, after just over a year of starting this blog I can't believe that it took me this long to post about one of my all-time favorite bands, Curve. Like, seriously, what is wrong with me? Again, I am rectifying it now.
There are times in your life as a music lover that you hear a band, a song, that first time, and your immediate thought is,"WOW! What is this? Why haven't I heard this before?"
This has happened to me many times, whether it be Nirvana, Atari Teenage Riot, Front 242, or, in this case, Curve.
For me, the best way to describe this music is LUSH (ironic, considering that such is the name of one of their shoegaze peers), but for me this song, with Toni Halliday's melodic chanting/harmonizing and Dean Garcia's thick, syrupy bass line, covers me like a thick, velvet blanket on a cold winter's day.
If Heaven was a song, I think it would "Horror Head," which, again, ironic considering the title and lyrics:
Fireworks, blue and greenI can see what they singBut you are awayYou always smileBoxing ringThe back of mulesYou can really see, from the insideAcross the roomThere's a horror in my headWhen the blanket is goneFrom the floor in my castleWhere I see the sun fromThere's a horror in my headWhen the blanket is goneFrom the floor in my castleWhere I see the sun fromIn the comfort of this roomThe challenge diedRemember you and meWe laughed 'til we cried
What does any of that mean? Fuck if I know, it would take someone far more intelligent than me to decipher them, but god damn, this song is my happy place.
While they broke up years and years ago, and despite fans forever hoping for a reunion that, honestly, will never happen. Toni seems content with allowing their oeuvre to speak for itself (and honestly, she's not wrong), and Dean is still making good music with his daughter Rose; I highlighted their work previously if you'd like to check it out.
Welcome to Friday! You made it through the week, that's something, so take the win, there's a whole weekend before you.
Enjoy!
While they broke up years and years ago, and despite fans forever hoping for a reunion that, honestly, will never happen. Toni seems content with allowing their oeuvre to speak for itself (and honestly, she's not wrong), and Dean is still making good music with his daughter Rose; I highlighted their work previously if you'd like to check it out.
Welcome to Friday! You made it through the week, that's something, so take the win, there's a whole weekend before you.
Enjoy!

Comments
Post a Comment