I discovered Nils Frahm, oddly enough, during a previous Bandcamp Friday, specifically his album Music For Animals (so good!). I almost immediately became a fan of his electronic pieces, learning after that he started out as a pianist and then expanded into the realm of electronic music.
This album captures his live performance at Funkhaus Berlin in Germany and I admit that it has been on my vinyl wishlight for a few years now. Last week it hit a price point that I was happy to pay, so I pulled the trigger. It arrived last Friday, and to say the album sublime does not do the word, or the album, justice.
Neither does just saying "it's so fucking good," though that is also certainly true. I have always preferred the visceral to the technical when it comes to my musical tastes, which explains my preference for Beethoven over Mozart, and this album moves me.
Shouldn't all great music?
Honestly, it's hard to pick a single track from this performance as they are all truly lovely, but as much as I do enjoy classicaly music (predominantly strings), the electronic boops-beeps are my Achilles heel, so this particularly piece that starts with a repetitive motif that builds and becomes more chaotic, and yet, controlled, like a tornado in a teacup, speaks strongest to my heart and love of music.
Welcome to Monday, it's the beginning of the week but the end of the month; summer is drawing to a close, and though I hate that, it doesn't have to be awful, especially when you're listening to Nils Frahm.
Enjoy!
Updated (04.24.26): since NIN/Boys Noize have since released Nine Inch Noize I have updated this post with the official version of the track below. At 30+ years old I think we can all agree that "Closer" was a hit that was about as perfect as it could have been, and has since become a classic. But ever since I saw NIN in Detroit, and even before, thanks to YouTube, I have been obsessed with this remix of the track. I thought maybe that would fade, but here we are weeks later and I am still impressed with not only the audacity to rework such a well-known, iconic song, but I'm equally astounding as to how well it works. And now, with the Coachella lineup announced (see above as well), it's obvious that this NIN/Boys Noize collaboration is going to continue as Nine Inch Noize. Personally, I love it, and am hopeful to get an official release of this version so I can buy it and listen to it to my heart's content. Welcome to Monday! Enjoy!

Comments
Post a Comment