Note: this week, in honor of the legendary Steve Albini's birthday, I am highlighting his impressive audio engineering work (he refused to be called a "producer"). These five posts are a small example of his musical prowess, selected by me, just a fan with a blog.
And here it is, Steve Albini's birthday. He would have been 64 today.
I know he was a member of a few different bands, and maybe one could argue that Big Black was culturally and musically more important, but I tend to lean towards things that hit me more viscerally. It's why I prefer Beethoven to Mozart.
And this song, I get it. Do I ever actually want to see someone die because they had the audacity to be with someone I once cared about?
No.
But I get the feeling of this song, that urge to kill that one (hopefully) never actually acts on. Not that the narrator of this song is contemplating murder, he just wants to see the other guy die, and painfully.
Perhaps those are things that people shouldn't feel, but I admit that I have felt this way in the past, so this song speaks to my experience and feelings. Does this make me an awful person? Maybe, but apparently I am in good company.
Happy birthday, Steve Albini, you are missed, but man, you created one Hell of a brutal song.
Thank you!

Comments
Post a Comment