Note: this week, in honor of the legendary Steve Albini's birthday, I am highlighting his impressive audio engineering work (he refused to be called a "producer"). These five posts are a small example of his musical prowess, selected by me, just a fan with a blog.
And here we are folks, the final post in this series.
I intentionally did not lead with this track at the beginning of the week as it's too obvious.
In fact, I struggled with including it at all, because of that very fact, but at the end of the day this song was mind-blowing to when it came out during my sophomore year of college and listening again today, or any day, I am reminded of how colossally talented Kurt, Krist, Dave, and yes, Steve were.
Certainly this could be argued to be Albini's most high-profile work, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Yes, Albini worked with artists large, small, and absolutely massive (like Nirvana), but as I said at the beginning of this week, he was far more interested in working with talented, creative people than he was in becoming a "hit producer."
Tastes weave over the years, but every so often a band and an engineer come together right at the perfect moment of zeitgeist and give birth to something magical that stands the test of time.
That was Nirvana.
That was Steve Albini.
100% in the right place at the right time to seize the moment of the day.
I wish they still made music like this.
Sigh...
Enjoy and have a great weekend!
And if you read any of the posts here this week, last, or any time, thanks for stopping by!

Comments
Post a Comment